Image Map

Crochet 101

February 28, 2010

Saturday was great (minus the rain, hail, thunder, and lightning!), as I spent the day learning the basics of crochet from my Grandma M.! I've got the single crochet, double crochet, and the half double crochet stitches under my belt. I'll be the first to admit that took a lot of patience on both our parts, practice, and chanting the stitch directions out loud (to myself), but it's officially in my memory bank!

I hope I remember this story correctly (and Grandma if I goof it up let me know and I'll revise it!)...my Grandma learned to crochet when she was 10 years old, with twine! She said that when her mother bought lettuce that it would be wrapped in brown paper and tied with twine. Upon her mom's arrival home, the package would be untied and the twine would be saved and added to the existing twine skein (from previous trips for lettuce). How cool is that? My Grandma has come a long way from crocheting with twine, as she makes amazing afghans, baby clothes, and baby accessories...just to name a few!

Should you want to learn how to crochet, or are in need of video refresher courses, take a minute or two to check out Teresa's
additions to the crochet world, as it is one of the best resources I've stumbled upon!

1 comment:

  1. I am very pleased that mom can pass down her skills and creativity to you. Gifts such as this last a life time and create memories that will out live your Grandma.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments, and read them all! Thank you! :)