- Outside Fabric: (1) 9” x 17.5"
- Cotton Flannel (Lining): (1) 9” x 17.5”
- Quilt Batting: (1) 9” x 17.5”
- Binding Fabric: 2.25” x 45”
- Water Soluble Pen
- Velcro (optional): 2 ½”
Kindle measurements: 8” x 5.3” (per www.amazon.com)
1. Cut out three rectangles, using a cotton print fabric for the outside fabric (9” x 17.5”), quilt batting for the middle layer (9” x 17.5”), and a solid cotton flannel fabric for the lining (9” x 17.5”), as the flannel will not scratch your Kindle.
2. Place the outside fabric with the wrong side facing up, quilt batting, and cotton flannel (lining) with right side facing up.
4. Fold and press the binding in half lengthwise. With raw edges matching, sew the binding along the top edge of the pocket with a ¼” seam allowance. Fold over the remaining binding and stitch.
5. Fold the bottom of the Kindle cover at the 6” line, with right side facing up, forming a pocket. Baste around the three exposed sides with a 1/8” seam allowance.
6. Beginning at the bottom left hand corner, fold up the binding ½”, creating a ‘finished’ edge and attach the binding with a ¼” seam allowance to the right side of the outside fabric. When approaching the corners, make sure to stop ¼” from the corner, lift your needle and presser foot and fold the binding up onto itself. Fold the binding down again, aligning the raw edges and resume stitching.
7. Fold over the remaining binding, enclosing the raw edges, and complete with a straight stitch, making sure to neatly miter the corners.
8. As an option, Velcro can be added to insure that the Kindle is secure. Stitch the male side of the Velcro ¾” from the top of the pocket, centered. Repeat with the female side of the Velcro 2 5/8” from the top of the flap.
Note- *Tutorial can easily be adjusted to accommodate the Kindle DX and iPad.