This is the sketch I started with (no laughing please...I never dreamed of making this sketch public, but thought it was a must with this tutorial!!!).
The shopping list for this tutorial is quite simple:
- Terra Cotta Pot (I washed up a pot that I found in the garden= free!)
- Plaster of Paris (I bought my bucket at Michael's with a 50% off coupon- score!)
- 3/4" PVC Pipe (I bought the 10' pipe at Lowe's for only $1.68, as it was much cheaper than buying the pre-cut 2' pipes!)
- 3/4" PVC End Caps (3)
- 3/4" PVC Tees (3)
- Spray Paint
After I cut the pieces I started assembling the contraption. Just remember that every arm needs a Tee fitting as well as an End Cap, and the top of the contraption needs to be finished off with an End Cap. :) I suggest the contraption is spray painted at this point in the process, and any required touch-ups to be completed after the Plaster of Paris is set.
In addition, I cut four spare pieces to anchor my vertical support piece. The spare pieces were 100% trial and error (see photo below). My goal was to provide extra support at the bottom of the contraption so that I did not have to hold the vertical piece while the Plaster of Paris set and hardened.
After the contraption is assembled and nestled into the pot, I lined the pot with plastic (to cover the hole at the bottom of the pot!) and prepared the Plaster of Paris. I do have to caution you that my pot did crack a bit as the Plaster of Paris expands as it hardens, however I positioned the pot so that the crack was in the back and no one (except me!) noticed! :)