Image Map

Simply Color Plus Quilt

January 7, 2013

Its so hard to believe that Christmas has come and gone!  This beauty of a quilt was a Christmas gift for a very special guy.  I've always found it hard to select fabrics for a manly quilt, let alone a Christmas present for someone special...like a boyfriend!

I went to a local quilt shop one day at lunch, looking for the perfect "manly fabric" (although I was skeptical that such even existed), when I stumbled upon a selection of Simply Color by V and Co. (only green, blue, and gray - paired with Moda Bella Solids).  I went home and thought about what I had seen at the quilt store, and while rummaging through my stash I found an unopened fat quarter bundle of Simply Color, that I had picked up at Sample Spree in Kansas City, MO (Spring 2012).  With that, the "manly quilt" was born.



I used In Color Order's Plus Quilt Tutorial for the pattern, and most definitely recommend it.  I'll be the first to admit that cutting 320 4.5" square is not something to write home about, but the end result most definitely is (wouldn't you agree?)!



I started this quilt well after Thanksgiving, with the goal of having it completed for Christmas (which I accomplished- thank.you.very.much!).  The cutting took time, sewing the quilt together was quick.  My sweet friend Joyce did the long arm quilting for me, and I took the time to hand stitch the binding (which I finished Christmas Eve morning).



Detailed view of the long arm quilting, the chevron stripe binding (my favorite) and the backing.


Another detailed view of the pieced top and long arm quilting- love!!!

10 comments:

  1. This quilt is fabulous. I love the fabrics you have used, and I think it is very suitable for a man but isn't boring, which some "manly" quilts can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fabulous. I am sure he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You chose beautiful fabrics, and did wonderful work to make an AWESOME quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt and quilting are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and sharing it wherever i can :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome....you are so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute quilt! You did a great job. I love the colors. Boyfriend....I want details!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! Which Moda solids did you use?

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments, and read them all! Thank you! :)