Image Map

Handmade Christmas Gifts

January 7, 2012

I've always dreamed of a 100% handmade Christmas.  What about you?  Hopefully one of these days I'll get there, but until then I have two Christmas gifts to share with you!  First up is the fun doughnut quilt I made for my Grandma B.!  (It makes me hungry just looking at it!).  :)

 

I used Threaded Pear Studio's Modern Day Diamonds quilt pattern.  I absolutely love the simple design and size of the finished quilt.  I'll admit that matching the diamonds was a bit tedious, but towards the end I came up with a couple fail proof shortcuts, which eliminated a lot of seam ripping!


The back has a fun doughnut stripe along the bottom.


A close-up of the long-arm machine quilting, which I did myself- woo hoo!  :)

The next handmade gift I have to share is this quirky mustache pillow, which I made for my friend Thomas.  Mustache home decor is hot right now, so I figured who wouldn't want a pillow with an appliqued leather mustache on it?


I used Free Spirit's Designer Houndstooth fabric, in Hot House Blue, for the pillow.  The leather was a scrap I had laying around.


I also used a scrap piece of coordinating brown Moda fabric for the zipper cover!

 

This pillow marks the first time I ever worked with leather, with that being said I think the applique looks awesome!

Did you sew (or receive) any handmade Christmas gifts?

4 comments:

  1. I did a 100% homemade Christmas last year... It was great but I had to start making things in August ish time! Plus I was only a student then. Definitely worth it though, people love knowing you took the time to make something especially for them =)Your quilt is so beautiful, I'd love to learn quilting

    ReplyDelete
  2. you quilted the donut quilt in circles? How utterly fantastic it looks. Love the moustache... man u are one creative gal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a bunch, but I haven't had time to blog them. Sigh. Love what you made!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments, and read them all! Thank you! :)